Monday, October 19, 2009

Woman-Heaven 2009

My friends, Susan and Linda, and I have had a tradition (for the past four or five years) of going to the quilt show in Spokane in October and then going somewhere for a short quilting retreat to sew and talk and laugh and eat. This year was the best one yet--so good that we've started calling it "Woman-Heaven". This year, as we did last year, we went to a vacation rental house on Newman Lake, northwest of Spokane. We did a lot of sewing, an incredible amount of laughing and we're all still recovering from the fabulous food.

The first thing I did this year was a postcard for a monthly postcard challenge on Vicki Welsh's fabulous website . The theme was "If I woke tomorrow with absolutely no obligations I would _______________". For me the obvious answer is reading. I can give up almost anything except reading.

If you can't read the quote, it's, "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading."--Logan Persall Smith.

And here is what the lake looked like outside our window. There was mist or fog every morning when we woke up, but this just made it more beautiful.


Proof that we were doing what we set out to do. We need a bigger table.


And, oh my gosh, how can you beat mini-eclairs. We were all hooked. But we "balanced" it with grapes and guacamole. Yeah--"balance", that's it.


You can see how hard Linda's been working by the threads on her legs.

The weekend gets better (and, well...longer) every year. I couldn't have two better friends.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Thanks for entering the postcard challenge! I LOVE it!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

That is a great postcard, and I am also an obsessive reader!